Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Fire Station Visit

I'm officially below the 20 day mark today. Only 19 days (including weekends) left until my first day. I'm hoping to get my leave for next week, which only gives me 8 work days at my current job (excluding today). I'm not sure how I'm going to be filling the time, but I'm sure I'll be keeping myself busy.

Last night I went to visit a fire station. From going to CPAT practices, I met a woman that is going to be in my recruit class, and she is a volunteer at Station 17 out in Centreville. She invited me out to the station to walk around, have dinner, and to try to get some pre-academy studying in. It also gave me a good look into what I'm getting myself into. And I like what I see.

The last time I was in a fire station, I was babysitting the station's (Coast Guard station, not fire) small boats during Hurricane Isabel for 2 days. Not as exciting as it sounds, trust me... So anyway, I got to learn the difference between an engine and a truck, some EMT terminology, and what firefighters eat for dinner (BBQ'd pork chops, mashed potatoes, and peas). The meal was excellent and I even got some ice cream for dessert.

I felt a little bit like a kid in a dream world, but the fact is my dream is now a reality. Well, in 19 days anyway...

3 comments:

Morgan said...

BBQ'd Pork Chops < Moe's. Think about it, you eat better at DISA...

Anonymous said...

If it's free, anything beats Moe's.

Anonymous said...

Great work.